The Muslim Defense Project (MDP) of the New York City Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild (NLG-NYC) was formed to combat the anti-Muslim rhetoric and policies that have created a comprehensive system of illegal surveillance, predatory prosecutions, and the targeting of entire Muslim communities — in New York City and beyond. We stand in solidarity, as members of these communities and their allies, to seek the elimination of laws that enable the discrimination of Muslims. We will arm our communities with the knowledge and information they need to protect themselves. We will put our legal skills to use defending those who have fallen prey to predatory prosecutions. We recognize that community ties through trust and activism have been under attack over the past several years, and we endeavor to safeguard and build those precious relationships.Through organizing and activism, we seek to build a strong front by developing alliances with other communities who have also been the subject of the government’s repression. Together, we will fight this government onslaught on our fundamental rights — as history has taught us that the rights of one community or individual belong to us all.
- Call the hotline: 646-801-0104
- Email: email@example.com
What We Do:
- Facilitate Know Your Rights Workshops in Masjids, community centers, schools, etc.: Request a free workshop for your community group by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Operate a 24/7 Hotline (646-801-0104): Please call us if you have been contacted or suspect you are being surveilled by a government agent, such as a member of the FBI or NYPD. We will put you in touch with a NLG attorney.
- Legal Observe: Are you holding a rally? Would you like Legal Observers present? Request Legal Observers via this form.
- Provide General Community Support: Let us know how we can work in solidarity with you and/or your group.
- March 29, 2013: NLG-NYC Muslim Defense Project Calls for an End to NYPD’s “Stop and Frisk”
- February 19, 2013: Standing with Lynne: The NLG-NYC Muslim Defense Project Calls for Medical Treatment and Ongoing Support for a Freedom Fighter
- November 24, 2012: NLG-NYC Muslim Defense Project Condemns Israel for Continued Occupation of Gaza
- January 25, 2012: National Lawyers Guild-New York City Chapter (NLG-NYC) Muslim Defense Committee Commemorates the Anniversary of the Egyptian Revolution and the Ongoing Struggle of the People of Egypt
- May 9, 2011: New York City Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild (NLG-NYC) Expresses Full Support for Muslim American Society and NLG-NYC Executive Committee Member Lamis Deek Against Sustained Racist and Islamophobic Hate Campaigns
- February 3, 2011: National Lawyers Guild NYC Chapter Condemns Arrest and Torture of Human Rights and Legal Workers by Mubarak Regime and Demands Their Immediate Release
- January 2012: Close Guantanamo Now! Campaign
- January 26, 2012: Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition (MACLC) Calls for Resignation of Police Commissioner Kelly
- November 18, 2011: Rally and Friday Prayers – Stop NYPD and CIA Repression